Developer: PPL Development
Main Contractor: Multiplex
Architects: Foster & Partners
Products: InstaGroup acoustic subfloor C40/43 with some areas requiring additional build up.
Installed in conjunction with UFH system and Passive Fire Protection in the form of Fire Batts at apartment doors and communal areas.
Project Scope: Second Phase of Project.
A landmark project
Principal Place is located in the area of Worship Street and Bishopsgate in Shoreditch, London EC2, next to the mainline rail tracks into Liverpool Street station.
InstaGroup worked on this landmark project from January to July 2021, installing acoustic subfloors with underfloor heating for a total of 292 apartments.
We focus on logistics and safety
Due to its location and height, this complex project required detailed organisation and meticulous planning of all operations. Numerous site constraints included the immediate proximity of adjacent busy railway lines.
As space was at a premium, along with hoist and vertical movement, it was essential to plan work carefully, efficiently, and collaboratively with all other trades. Managing and maintaining safety was always at the forefront of every discussion.
Chosen for our lightweight solution
InstaGroup had worked with some of the Multiplex management team on previous projects. Our reputation stood us in good stead, as we were trusted for our capabilities and high standards.
At initial meetings, Multiplex and architects Foster & Partners were convinced by the many advantages of our lightweight acoustic flooring system.
By using our C40 system with underfloor heating there would be a huge weight saving on the structural loading of the building. Our system also allowed for easy floor height adjustments on-site, which was essential in areas that required additional build up.
Efficiency in installation
Lower structural loadings resulted in a more slender design of the structural slabs, including less rebar than would be necessary with a standard screed. This saved costs overall.
InstaGroup’s IFC accreditation meant we could install Fire Batts at apartment doors and communal areas at the same time, to meet the approved fire strategy for the building.
Our knowledge and forward-planning saved on programme time, as other trades worked directly behind us.
InstaGroup’s dedicated site supervisor on this project oversaw the works from start until completion.
- 21,942m2 acoustic subfloor installed in conjunction with UFH system and Passive Fire Protection in the form of Fire Batts
- Lower structural loadings resulted in a more slender design of the structural slabs, including less rebar than would be necessary with a standard screed. This saved cost overall.
- Our attention to pre-planning and our collaboration with other trades saved on programme time
- No screed meant no drying time, speeding up construction sequences
- Integral installation with our underfloor heating systems increased efficiency of the project
- Dedicated InstaGroup site supervisor throughout
- InstaGroup is IFC accredited and can sign off its own passive fire protection work with no other trade required